The Cutting Board
The Cutting Board
This class is a primer on the basics of converting rough lumber into useable square stock. Along the way, we'll mill up enough wood to create a beautiful, useful cutting board that you designed!
We'll be using three major tools in this class: the jointer, the planer, and the table saw. I'll explain when and how to use each tool safely and effectively, and show you how to use them to make accurate, square lumber.
Once we've milled up enough lumber for our cutting boards, we'll do a quick overview of the various types of wood glues. Then we'll clamp our boards and they'll be ready the next day!
Topics covered include:
- Where to buy rough lumber
- Jointer, planer, and table saw safety
- How to get six square sides
- Glueing and clamping
Students must be 16 years old or older.
BEFORE THE CLASS
- Make sure you read this page about shop safety.
- The cutting boards we make will be about 10" x 16". If you'd like to make something that fits in a specific place, measure it and bring those dimensions along.
AT THE CLASS
- A $20 - $40 materials fee is collected at the start of class. The exact amount depends on the wood you choose for your design.
- Eye protection, dust mask, and ear plugs are mandatory. I sell safety kits at the shop for $12, or bring your own.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING HOME
In addition to learning some new skills and having fun, you'll bring home a new cutting board that you designed! Cutting boards will need to be in clamps overnight, so they'll be available for pickup the day after class. I'll plane the boards smooth for you, but you'll be responsible for final sanding and applying a finish when you get it home.
This class is offered on Monday and Thursday evenings, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. Select a time below or contact me to find out what spots are currently available.