We take safety very seriously. All students and studio renters are required to observe the following rules. Please read and understand these policies before coming to the shop.
- No alcohol or drugs. Under no circumstance is any alcohol or other intoxicating substance to be consumed in the shop or before using any tools. Do not have a drink with dinner and then expect to participate in that evening's class.
- Wear appropriate safety gear. Eye protection, ear protection, and lung protection (dust masks) are mandatory. You can bring your own if you have it; I have safety packs available for sale in the shop for $12.
- Dress appropriately. No open-toed shoes. Long hair must be tied back. Long sleeves must be tight around the forearm or rolled back. An apron or shop coat will help keep the sawdust from following you home.
- Know the tools. Do not use any tool that you have not been specifically trained on. Check every tool's fittings before use. Make sure all appropriate safety gear is in place and use it. When in doubt, ask questions!
- Keep it clean. A clean, organized shop is a safe shop. Sawdust on the floor is slippery; chisels left on the bench are sharp; boards can get in the way of your tools.
- Ask questions. If you're not sure about a technique, ask. We're working in a fun, supportive atmosphere and every question asked makes everyone smarter.